Liefer Funeral Home History
In 1896 Clarence S. Dashner opened a funeral service and livery stable in Renault. He operated the business with his three sons, Albert, George and Grover, whom all became licensed funeral directors and embalmers. In 1940 the Dashner family constructed a home in Prairie du Rocher that was used exclusively for funeral services after a few years the business was relocated to Red Bud.
In 1957 a new building was constructed at the address of 220 Locust St. where it still is today. Harold Liefer and his wife Catherine, Koch joined the funeral business in the early 1970’s. Harold and Catherine bought out Mrs. Koch in 1980 and Koch-Liefer Inc. was formed.
In 1997 Harold purchased Dashner Funeral Home and Service and it is currently Koch-Liefer Funeral Home. Harold has owned and operated the business from 1997 to 2016.
Bruce E. Leesman & Greg A. Leesman, who currently own Leesman Funeral Homes in Dupo & Millstadt purchased the Koch-Liefer Funeral Home from Harold Liefer in early 2017.
Their Dupo location was formerly Dashner Funeral Home which was owned by Harold Dashner who was Albert Dashner’s son. Harold was also Vernon “Blacky” Dashner’s cousin, who operated the Dashner Funeral Home in Red Bud.
The Leesman’s look forward to serving the community and carrying on the level of care and compassion Harold has shown for the past many years.